Weldship was founded in 1946 by John Evans, Jr., to fabricate welded barges used by Hudson River refineries to transport petroleum products. Demand for barges decreased as shipbuilding grew, and Weldship diversified into the industrial gas industry. In 1971, Weldship acquired tube trailer maintenance facilities and began fabricating and servicing trailers as well as building and leasing its own fleet. By the 1980s, Weldship had expanded its capabilities and customer base, leasing equipment and providing services to the leaders of the industrial and specialty gas and specialty chemical markets as well as their distributors.
In today's competitive marketplace, the captains
successfully navigate the challenges presented by increased
customer demand and a shrinking world.
In 1990, Bob Arcieri and Bill Angus acquired Weldship from the original owner. Since that time Weldship has grown significantly, expanded its facilities, added experienced and dedicated personnel, and is focused on new opportunities and markets to serve a growing base of customers on a global basis. With the advent of the new millennium, an ambitious expansion plan was initiated. The Bethlehem, Pa., plant was renovated and expanded to become a state-of-the-art facility with capabilities for acoustic emission, ultrasonic and hydrostatic testing, painting, and maintenance. The acquisition of Texas Trailer Corporation, Gainesville, TX, in 1999 was a first component of Weldship's expansion plan. Weldship extended its reach with new capabilities across North and South America as well as Europe, followed by a major expansion into the Far East to support the semi-conductor industry with its huge demand for electronic grade gases.